Christmas Traditions: Homemade Cinnamon Rolls

Let’s talk about Christmas traditions.

I am a big fan of them.

I grew up in a big family, with lots of traditions.

So, I always knew I wanted to instill traditions into my children…even before I ever had them.

Now that Teddy and Reagan are almost 5 and 2.5 years old, they comprehend traditions a little bit more each year.

Year by year, I know that there will be certain things they remember and expect us to do because, indeed, they are, family traditions.

A tradition that I started a few years ago, is baking cinnamon rolls for our family and friends.

Each year, I make a double batch (about 144 cinnamon rolls to be exact), package them up and deliver them to our friends/neighbors and family.

Christmas Traditions: Homemade Cinnamon Rolls // Fancy Ashley *I use this fabulous recipe for the rolls. We LOVE The Pioneer Woman’s recipes around here!

This past Saturday, I spent about 5-6 hours in the kitchen baking these babies.

It’s no small feat, but it’s so worth it.

Thanks to my sprained ribs that are refusing to heal completely, this year, it was a family affair and I had lots of help from my two best guys.

IMG_9370-1 *my sweatshirt // teddy’s shirt

I just needed help with the rolling of the dough. Thankfully, Mr. Fancy was up to the task.

IMG_2074 copy

See this dough? We did this…FOUR times!

IMG_2084

My other number one helper (Reagan was napping).

IMG_2077 copy

IMG_2082

IMG_2070

After I BAKE and FROST all of the rolls, I cover them in foil and freeze them. All 16-18 pans of them go right into the freezer prior to cooling. I like to keep these in the freezer just to have on hand as well. You never know when you’ll need breakfast for an unexpected guest.

IMG_9374-1 copy

Then in the next few days, we package them up and head out to deliver them to our family and friends!

Add paper napkins and paper plates to make their morning even easier!

Christmas Traditions: Homemade Cinnamon Rolls // Fancy Ashley

Christmas Traditions: Homemade Cinnamon Rolls // Fancy Ashley

The whole idea is that our friends and family will have frozen (but homemade) cinnamon rolls to bake and eat on Christmas morning.

I include these instructions with the rolls:

Cinnamon Roll Instructions

We love this tradition just as much as all those that we deliver these to, do.

Our Christmas morning cinnamon rolls are served alongside mimosas, coffee and egg casserole.

Every year and we all look forward to it. I can still remember both, Teddy and Reagan trying the rolls for the first time as babies.

It was love at first bite.

We typically deliver these, alongside the cinnamon rolls.

DIY Cookies for Santa // Fancy Ashley

I love that two of the gifts we deliver can also potentially make life a little easier.

Forgot to bake cookies for Santa?

Forgot to plan a delish Christmas morning breakfast?

Both of these HOMEMADE gifts have you covered!

IMG_2067

What about you, do you have a family tradition that includes making gifts for others?

Comments

1. says

I love cinnamon rolls! What a perfect idea for a homemade gift! Love it:) and wishing someone would gift me some this morning! ;) happy Monday!

• Helen says

Hi Ashley, love this idea and you! Can u tell if u leave the foil on when you bake the frozen rolls or remove it? Many thanks, Helen

• Ashley says

Hey Helen! I don’t leave the foil on. If you notice the rolls begin to burn, you can definitely cover them. Each oven is different so I would watch them the first time just to be safe! Happy baking! xoxo

2. Audrey says

What a great tradition? Just curious…why do you put them in the freezer prior to cooling? Does that not create a condensation from the steam and make them soggy?

• Ashley says

That’s just what I read in the recipe book that I make them from, years ago. :) They are never soggy, so I think it has something to do with freezing them prior to cooling! Nt sure, but it works really well! :)

• Ashley says

Hi Mary! please refer to the recipe linked within the post for the ingredient list-she has them all listed out on her site. xoxo!

3. says

This is such a great idea! Looks so fancy and delicious! I love the pioneer women recipes too! Im going to have to put these rolls on my to do list!

4. says

I’m not that much of a online reader to be honest but
    your blogs really nice, keep it up! I’ll go ahead and bookmark your
    website to come back later. Cheers
    garden shed recently posted…garden shedMy Profile

5. says

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this matter to be really something that I think I would never understand.
    It seems too complicated and very broad for
    me. I am looking forward for your next post, I will try to get
    the hang of it!
    home and garden reviews recently posted…home and garden reviewsMy Profile

Trackbacks

1. […] I also love giving cinnamon rolls. This is another tradition in our house. I make a double batch and freeze them and then deliver them to all our friends and family. We walk up and down our neighborhood delivering them. It’s the perfect gift for anyone on your list. Who doesn’t love homemade cinnamon rolls? Especially on Christmas morning! You can see the details here! […]